11/19/2008

Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole


Thank you Kelly for posting this recipe. It was really good! I know DH loved it - he only said so about 10 times. :)

So we had some issues with our oven last night (crossing our fingers it's a cheap and easy repair), and ended up having to improvise a bit. I ended up splitting my 9x13 dish into 2 smaller dishes. Luckily - we recently purchased a large toaster oven, and these smaller dishes actually fit one at a time. So I cooked them in there.

With the transfer - the cheese ended up getting mixed into the casserole, instead of on top, but it was still good!

Ingredients:
2 T EVOO
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 bell pepper, diced (I skipped the pepper, don't like it)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 lb diced ham (I just used pre-packaged, pre-diced)
2 c cooks, shredded chicken breast (used 2 fairly large chicken breasts)
4 T butter
1/4 c flour
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
14 oz can chicken broth
3 cups cooked rice (I used brown)
1 c shredded cheddar
1 c shredded mozzarella or swiss (I used a bit of both, and I never measure cheese, I use a lot)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 (or, as it turned out in my case, the toaster oven)

I precooked the chicken by cutting it into thin strips (to cook faster) and throwing it into a skillet with a bit of oil. Then I shredded from there.
Heat oil in a large, rimmed skillet over medium heat.

Add the onions and peppers and cook for about 5 minutes, until tender.

Then add the garlic, chicken and ham and cook for another 5 minutes until heated through.
Add the butter until it is melted, then stir in the flour, salt and pepper until combined.

Slowly stir in the chicken broth, then mix in the rice.

Transfer mixture to a 9x13 baking dish and sprinkle the top with your cheese.
Bake for 20-25 minutes. For the last 10 minutes place aluminum foil overtop for oozing cheese.

1 comments:

Kelly

Glad you enjoyed it! Sorry about your oven troubles :-(

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667