11/14/2008

Portobello Mushroom Fries

I was watching the Food Network the other day and Down Home with the Neely's came on and they made these Portobello Fries. I thought they looked so good and interesting so I decided to give them a shot.

In the original recipe they fried these in oil. I really wanted to avoid that, so I decided to bake them instead. They turned out well - still crunchy and full of flavor.

I will absolutely make these again!

Ingredients:
5 large portobello mushrooms (I had 6)
1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c panko bread crumbs
1/4 c finely grated Parmesan cheese
2 T finely chopped parsley leaves (I didn't have fresh so I used about 1 T dried)
1/2 t red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
Note: you may want to double the panko, parsley, red pepper and salt and pepper - this recipe only lasted for a little more half of the mushrooms.
3 eggs, lightly beaten

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Since I was using the panko bread crumbs and baking instead of frying. I decided to pre-brown the panko. (I'd heard that they don't brown in the oven.) So I poured a few tablespoons of oil into a pan and browned the panko in batches. Once it is browned - place on a paper towel to let the oil drain and the panko to dry and cool, then move them to a bowl.

Update: My mom made these this weekend and she said she just put the bread crumbs into the toaster, instead of frying them first, and that it worked well. I'll definitely try this next time to completely get rid of the oil.

Prep your mushrooms by removing the gills and stem and trim the edges. Then cut to about 1/4 inch thick strips.

Measure the flour into a bowl and place the eggs into a separate bowl. In a third bowl mix your panko, Parmesan, parsley and salt and pepper.

Dredge the mushrooms in flour, then coat them in eggs and finally coat them in the panko mixture.

Place the mushrooms on a lightly greased baking pan.
Place them in the oven for about 10 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking.

These are also served with a dipping sauce - directions below.

Here is the link to the original recipe. I made a few changes to make it easier on me and according to what I had in the house. Make sure to make this at least an hour in advance to allow the flavors to blend. It really makes a difference.

Ingredients:
3/4 c mayonnaise
Update: I think next time I may substitute plain yogurt for the mayo to make it a bit healthier. Yogurt has the same texture and I think it would work well here. Let me know if anyone tries it!
1/2 c buttermilk
2 T BBQ sauce
2 t apple cider vinegar
3/4 t onion powder
1/4 t dried dill
1 T sliced fresh chives
1 t dried parsley
2 small garlic cloves, minced
Note: this recipe made a lot - if you are sticking to 6 or less mushrooms, you can easily cut this in half.

Directions:
Mix the ingredients in a bowl and place in the refrigerator for at least an hour to allow flavors to blend.
I paired these fries with this pulled pork.

2 comments:

Anonymous

Dude these 'shrooms were so good. I could have eaten the entire try myself! :)

nicole

I can not wait to try these at home... maybe this weekend in fact!

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667