11/11/2008

Sweet and Sour Chicken

I've seen this recipe in a few different blogs, but I took it from Taste and Tell. Everyone has raved about it, so I thought I had to try it. It's one of the few Chinese dishes I like.

We loved it - we'll definitely make this again. It was really simple to make. The prep time took about 20 minutes, plus 1 hour of cooking time.

Ingredients:
Chicken:
3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (I used 4 small chicken breasts)
Salt and pepper
1 c cornstarch (you don't need this much, could probably get away with 1/2 cup)
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 c canola oil

Sauce:
3/4 c sugar
4 T ketchup
1/2 c vinegar
1 T soy sauce
1 t garlic salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325.

Cut boneless chicken breasts into chunks and season with salt and pepper.

Put the cornstarch into one bowl, and the eggs into another. Roll the chicken pieces into the cornstarch, followed by the eggs.

Heat the oil in a saucepan then add the covered chicken pieces and brown, but do not cook through. Place the chicken in a single layer in a baking pan.

Mix together the sauce ingredients and pour over the chicken. Bake for one hour, turning chicken every 15 minutes.
If you would like extra sauce, mix another batch of sauce ingredients and bring to a boil in a saucepan. Turn down to medium heat and continue to cook 6-8 minutes, until thicken and reduced. Stir constantly.

I served the chicken over white rice.

We did use the extra sauce. However, I think if I had made fried rice, we probably would not have needed the extra.

3 comments:

Anonymous

Looks awesome! I just made this last night, too. I couldn't believe how great it turned out. Tastes like the real thing!

Anonymous

Hi! I actually made this last night too after looking at your site yesterday and realizing we actually had all the ingredients to make this at home. Too funny! Loved it! :)

Anonymous

I made this last night- was supposed to be just DH & I but ended up being for guests as well - everyone loved - none left at all!

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667