1/09/2009

Lighter General Tso's

I know this recipe has been making iys rounds through a lot of blogs, and I have no clue of the original source (if anyone knows, let me know and I'll post it). But I got it from Bite This!J and I both thought this was a really good meal. He did suggest putting it over lo mein noodles the next time, which I think would also be good. This time I just used brown rice.

Ingredients:
1 1/4 c rice
3 T cornstarch
1 T cornstarch
1 lb broccoli or snow peas (I used broccoli)
4 garlic cloves, sliced
2 t fresh ginger, grated and peeled (I didn't have fresh so I used ground)
3 T light-brown sugar
2 T soy sauce
1/2 t red pepper flakes
1 large egg white
Salt and pepper
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 T vegetable oil

Directions:
Cook your rice according to package directions. I also seasoned mine with a bit of red pepper, ginger, salt and pepper.

In a medium bowl, whisk together egg white, 3 T cornstarch, salt and pepper. Add chicken and toss to coat. (It didn't seem like this would coat very well, so I also added a little less than 1/4 c milk.)

In a large skillet, heat your vegetable oil. Then add your chicken to the skillet. (If it doesn't all fit, then use half the oil and chicken until cooked, then cook the rest separately.) Cook for about 6-8 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from skillet and set to the side.

In a large bowl, stir together 1 tablespoon corn starch and 1/4 cup of cold water. Mix until smooth. Add broccoli, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, brown sugar and red pepper flakes. Toss to coat.

Add broccoli mixture to the skillet. Cover and cook 3-5 minutes until broccoli is tender and sauce has thickened.

Return chicken, with juices, to skillet and toss to coat. Serve over rice.

3 comments:

Kristen616

I've been wanting to try this...it looks great. I'll try it over lo mein like you suggested. Thanks!!!

What's Cookin Chicago

What a great recipe to lighten a traditionally calorie laden dish! You could even submit this to the Wine & Dine blogging event I'm host this month where we're featuring Chinese inspired dishes! Details are in my blog's left sidebar and I'd love to feature your blog in the round up!

The Missing Ingredient

MMM this looks good!

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667