1/20/2009

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

Adapted from Mrs Sac's Purple Kitchen.

I made a few minor changes to the original recipe, including the addition of celery and carrots. I had them on hand and needed to use them, plus I thought it gave the soup some nice color.

I thought it turned out really well. The only thing is that the veggies were still pretty crunchy. If you like them softer, I would recommend steaming them before you put them in the soup.

Note: I have this listed under meatless meals, as you can easily take out the bacon.

Ingredients:
4 baking potatos
2/3 c flour
6 c 2% milk (I ended up using a bit more)
3/4-1 c extra sharp cheddar, shredded
1 t salt
Pepper to taste
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 c fat-free sour cream
About 3/4 medium onion, chopped
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 stalk celery, sliced
6 sliced turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pierce your potatos with a fork and bake for about 1 hour, until tender. Peel and coarsely chop. (I thought it was a bit odd to try to peel these after cooking.) Maybe next time I'll peel, then boil them - just not quite as long as I would for mashed.

Place your flour in a Dutch oven or stockpot. Then slowly add the milk, over medium heat, whisking until blended. Cook until thick and bubbly (about 8 minutes).

Add the potatos, cheese, salt, pepper and garlic. Mix together until cheese is melted.

Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream, onions, carrots, celery and bacon. Return to low heat and cook for about 10 minutes, until heated through. (Do not boil.) I left mine on a bit longer, to try to cook the veggies a bit more. It was probably closer to 30 minutes.

Serve and enjoy!

1 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago

This looks delicious and so perfectly filling! Yum!

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667