1/23/2009

Shredded Steak Burritos

So we had some not so high quality sirloin steads in the freezer, and I'd been trying to figure out what to do with them.

Finally I decided to cook them in the crockpot, shred them, and use them for burritos.

They turned out really well. My only complaint, I really wish I could find those nice, large 12" tortillas that they use in restaurants, that are also really thin and flexible.

I can only find 8", and they aren't quite as thin as I like. J found this tortilla mix that you just add water to, roll the dough and cook on a griddle.
I rolled it as thin as I could, but as soon as I put it on the griddle they started to rise. They tasted good, but not what I was hoping for.
J requested that I make the same thing next week, only with chicken. Any ideas where I can find those tortilla shells that I'm looking for?

Ingredients:
2 large flour tortillas
2-3 (or about 1-1.5 lbs) steak, or meat of choice
1 cup salsa
Package taco seasoning
White rice, cooked according to package instructions
Black beans (or beans of choice), rinsed and heated to simmering

Other optional toppings: Shredded Sharp Cheddar, Guacamole, Sour Cream, Salsa

Directions:
Place your steaks in a small slow-cooker (I used 3 quart). Add about 1 cup salsa and about 1/2 package of taco seasoning. Cook all day on low.
Cook your rice and heat your black beans.

Remove the steaks from the slow-cooker and shred to desired consistency.

Warm your tortilla shells in the microwave to soften them up and make them more flexible for folding.

Take your tortilla shell and layer on your steak, beans, cheese (I put it here so it would melt), rice, guac, sour cream and salsa.

Fold your tortilla over the filling like a burrito - fold one side over, then the other. Then fold the ends over to completely close it.

I then took some aluminum foil and wrapped it around 1/2 of the burritos, in order to keep them together when we ate them.

2 comments:

Kristen616

Looks great! I've never made steak burritos but I bet my husband would love them!

What's Cookin Chicago

Sounds like a fab meal with little effort to make too!

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667