2/09/2009

English Muffin Bread

Recipe from Amber's Delectable Delights

Well - I definitely think I have rising issues. My kitchen is usually pretty cold - sometimes things rise nicely, sometimes not so much. This was one of those not so much times.

Usually I turn my oven on, and set the dough on top. I think I need to start experimenting with some different methods.

Anyway - I went ahead and baked it anyway. The taste was good, slightly like English muffins, though it probably would have been more so had the rising process worked correctly.

I'll definitely try to make this again though. I cut the recipe in half to just make one loaf.

Ingredients:
Cornmeal
6 c flour
2 packages active dry yeast
1/4 t baking soda
2 c milk
1/2 c water
1 T sugar
1 t salt

Directions:
Grease 2 loaf pans, then sprinkle them (sides and bottom) with cornmeal.

In a large mixing bowl combine 3 c flour, yeast and baking soda.

In a small saucepan heat and stir milk, water, sugar and salt until warm (about 120-130 degrees).

Using a wooden spoon, stir milk mixture into flour mixture then add the remaining flour.

Divide dough in half and place in the prepared loaf pans. Sprinkle tops with cornmeal, then allow to rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes (until doubled in size).

Preheat oven to 400 then bake for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Remove immediately from pan and allow to cool on a wire rack.

Mmm... ham, egg and cheese. Could only be better if the yeast worked. :p

3 comments:

~Amber~

The bread looks excellent. I am glad you enjoyed it.
A couple tips for rising is to put the dough inside a warmed oven. Just turn the oven on for about 5 minutes and then turn it off. You could also put the dough in the oven and put a bowl of boiling hot water underneath it.

Cate

I hate fickle yeast...but that sandwich still looks positively delicious!

What's Cookin Chicago

yum! What a great bread flavor!!

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667