4/07/2009

Crockpot Whole Chicken

I didn't follow a specific recipe for this. I just looked at a few different recipes, then threw together what I thought sounded good. :)

The chicken was extremely moist and tender. When I lifted it from the crockpot, the legs literally fell off.

I thought this was pretty good, but I think next time I'd skip the veggies in the crockpot, and make them separate. I plan to use the leftover chicken in a few meals this week. And I used the carcass to make chicken broth! :)

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken
1 onion cut into large chunks
2 carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces
2 small potatos, quartered
1-2 stalks celery, chopped
Rosemary
Thyme
Garlic, minced
Salt & pepper
EVOO, maybe 2-3 T
Melted butter - maybe 1/4 c

Directions:
Remove gizzards from chicken and rinse chicken thoroughly.

Push your hand under the skin to pull it up from the chicken so that you rub seasoning underneath it.

In a bowl mix together the rosemary, thyme, garlic, salt & pepper, EVOO and butter. Use your judgment on quantities here. I just threw it all together until it looked good. :)

You're going to get your hands dirty here. Scoop up some of the butter/herb mixture in your hand and rub it underneath all of the skin, then over the top of all of the skin to season the bird.

Place it into the crockpot on top of a few aluminum foil balls - to keep it from sitting in the fat drippings.

Add the veggies to the crockpot, and turn on low for about 10 hours.

This will produce a lot of juice, so no need to add any liquid. I added a bit of cornstarch to the liquid to create a gravy when I was ready to eat.

Keep the carcass and gizzards and you can make chicken broth/stock in the crockpot!

1 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago

This looks great! Sometimes looking at a few different recipes and coming up with what works for you is the best way to go! :)

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667