4/20/2009

Mmmmmmac N' Cheese

I think this may be the best I've made! So good! I was just really in the mood for some mac n' cheese, so I tried to think of some of the recipes I've seen lately, threw something together, and this deliciousness is what I got! :)

I added in a can of tuna, since J wasn't around (he's not a fan), and I threw in some mushrooms and some tomato on top. This would be great if I had added some sauted onions, and I wish I had some sharp cheddar as well. I did throw in a few wedges of Laughing Cow, which I think helped add to the creaminess, since I only used 1% milk.

The measurements are not exact, just guesstimates really.

Ingredients:
1 1/2-2 c pasta shells, uncooked
2 T butter
1/8 c flour
1 1/4 c milk (used 1 %)
1 T mustard (I used dijon)
Parsley
Salt
Pepper
Cayenne Pepper
3 wedges Laughing Cow Garlic Herb
1/2 c Colby Monterrey Jack, shredded
1/2 c Mozzarella, shredded
1 can tuna, well drained
4-5 button mushrooms, sliced
1 small tomato, sliced into 1/4"

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.

Cook the pasta until just al dente and strain.

In a large saucepan, melt the butter, then whisk in the flour until blended and thicken. Whisk in the milk and mustard and season to taste with parsley, salt, pepper and cayenne.

Keep on medium heat and allow milk to heat through and thicken, whisking often. Mix in the cheese and mushrooms and continue to stir until cheese is fully melted.
Mmmm... look at that cheesy goodness! :)

Add the pasta and tuna to the cheese sauce and mix thoroughly, then pour into a square baking dish (coated with cooking spray). Place the tomato slices on top and season them with salt, pepper and parsley.

Place in the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes. Remove and sprinkle on some more cheese of your choice, then cook for another 5-10 minutes, until cheese is nice and melted.

Remove and enjoy!

3 comments:

Jessica

I like the idea of adding tomatoes on top :)

Colleen

I have the same comment - I love the addition of the sliced tomatoes!

What's Cookin Chicago

Those tomatoes are a great topping! Yum!

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667