6/18/2009

Grilled Turkey, Cheese & Tomato Sandwiches

Recipe from EatBetterAmerica.com

I found this recipe and I absolutely loved the flavor combination, and since I needed a quick, easy meal for last night, I went with it.

These sandwiches were really tasty! I added in a slice of smoked turkey. And I used a slice of fresh mozzarella and of Swiss cheese, instead of Jarlsberg or Cheddar. This would be great with the addition of some Dijon mustard.

If you use a whole wheat or whole grain bread, use cooking spray instead of butter, and use a low-fat cheese (okay, I didn't do this - I used what I had on hand) this is actually a healthy meal!

J and I just ate these with a side of cottage cheese sprinkled with some ground pepper.

Ingredients:
2 slices whole wheat, whole grain or mult-grain bread
1 slice smoked turkey
Small tomato, sliced
Roasted red pepper, cut into thin strips
4-5 basil leaves
1 slice fresh mozzarella
1 slice Swiss cheese
Cooking spray

Directions:
I used a cast iron skillet to grill these, but you could just use a regular skillet. Preheat your skillet over medium heat.

Stack your sandwich - I did 1 slice bread, mozzarella, smoked turkey, basil, tomato, pepper, Swiss cheese and then topped with the 2nd bread slice.

To cut back on fat/calories, spray (thin layer) the outside of the top slice with cooking spray (instead of using butter), and then place the sandwich cooking spray side down in the skillet.

While the bottom cooks, spray the top with cooking spray.

When bottom slice is a nice, golden brown, and cheese has started to melt, flip the sandwich. About 2-3 minutes. Cook for another few minutes until cheese is all melted and both side are golden brown.

Move to a plate and enjoy!

1 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago

Mmm - looks great and the addition of basil is a great idea!

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667