8/10/2009

Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos w/ Homemade Salsa

Chicken recipe from For the Love of Cooking

On a cooking board that I frequent, the cooking challenge this week is to make something with tomatos. I love salsa! I've never tried to make my own, so I decided this would be the perfect time to try it out.

This chicken sounded really good, so I decided to make some tacos to go with the salsa.

The salsa was good, very fresh tasting. The green onions, tomatos and jalepeno were all straight from our garden. I could've used a bit more spice, however. I had bought canned chilies to put in here too, but all my other ingredients were so fresh, I didn't want to use them.

Salsa
Ingredients:
3 Roma tomatos
3 vine-ripened tomatos
1/2 jalepeno
2-3 T cilantro
2 medium green onions
Juice of 1/2 lime
Pepper to taste

Directions:
You can use a food processor or, if you like your salsa to be chunky, just chop all ingredients and mix together.

I was feeling lazy, so I went with a food processor.

First place the cilantro, jalapeno and onions (cut into smaller pieces) into the food processor and pulse a few times to chop.

Quarter the tomatos and process until salsa is at desired consistency. Add the lime juice and pepper to taste. Pulse once or twice to mix.

Place in a sealed container in the refrigerator for at least one hour to allow flavors to blend.

Chicken Tacos
Ingredients:
Juice and zest of 2 small limes
3 T olive oil
1/2 t cumin
1/2 t onion powder
1/4 t red pepper flakes
Salt & pepper, to taste
3 T fresh cilantro, chopped
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat

Other ingredients: taco shells, sour cream, guacamole, cheese

Directions:
Mix ingredients from limes through cilantro in a zip lock bag. Add the chicken and be sure it is fully coated. Place bag in refrigerator and allow chicken to marinate 2-4 hours.

Grill or saute chicken breasts until fully cooked. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes and then shred.

Fill your taco shell with the chicken, salsa and other toppings. Enjoy!

2 comments:

michelle

This looks fresh and delicious!

Colleen

For some reason I have never made my own salsa - this looks like a great recipe!

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667