8/14/2009

Zucchini Cakes

Recipe from What's Cooking in the Orange Kitchen

We always get tons of zucchini from our garden (unfortunately not quite as much this year, but still a good bit). Typically I'll make a batch of zucchini bread, and the rest I end up just grilling as a side dish. It gets a bit old.

I came across this recipe for zucchini cakes while I was looking through blog updates yesterday. I checked out the ingredient list and I actually had everything I needed to make them! So - a side dish was chosen. :)

Really good recipe, but a word of advice. Drain that zucchini!! There is tons of water in there - and I definitely could've gotten more out of it. The cakes tasted delicious - but weren't quite together as I would've liked.

Next time I may try to bake them, just because of the unhealthiness of frying. :

Ingredients:
1 large zucchini (not those extra-large jumbo guys, just your regular large ;p )
1 T minced garlic
1/2 c Italian bread crumbs
1/2 c shredded Parmesan cheese
2 eggs (add 1, then mix - if needed then add the second)
1/2 t thyme
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Salt & pepper
Oil for frying

Directions:
Shred the zucchini and drain well! Wrap in strong paper towels or a clean kitchen towel and squeeze until you can't get any more liquid out.

Place in a medium bowl.

Add the remaining ingredients through the salt and pepper and mix well. It should be somewhat batter like and not crumbly. If needed, add the second egg.

Heat oil in a large skillet. Drop about 3 T of the mixture onto the skillet and flatten. Cook about 2-3 minutes per side, until browned. Continue with remaining mixture.

Serve with Ranch dressing.

1 comments:

Leslie Craven

I made zucchini cakes tonight too! I baked them and they turned out great!

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667