11/06/2009

Potato Soup with Apples & Brie

Recipe from Mayo Clinic

This is the final Ingredient of the Month post for October featuring Apples! (I know it's November, I'm a bit late getting it posted.) :)



I've had this saved for a couple of months now, and have been very intrigued by it.  J and I both thought this was really good (although he'd prefer I left a few potato chunks in it instead of blending it smooth).


2 things: This was extremely thick after I blended it, and I ended up adding close to 2 more cups of chicken broth at the end.  I also added more salt and some pepper at the end.  However, as I said, we both liked it.  And it was also good the next day as leftovers.  I wouldn't recommend trying to freeze it - I think the texture would be weird when thawed out.

Ingredients:
1 cup chopped yellow onion
1/4 c sliced leeks (whites only)
4 large Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled and quartered
2 c chicken broth (as I said above, I did end up adding about 2 more cups at the end)
1 bay leaf
1/2 t salt (you may want to add more, and some pepper)
1/4 t thyme
3 c fat-free evaporated milk
6 small potatos, peeled and sliced
4 ou brie, cut into small cubes

Directions:
In a large soup pot, spray the bottom with cooking spray and then add the leeks, apples and onions. Saute over medium heat until softened - about 5-7 minutes. Next add the chicken broth, bay leaf, salt and thyme.  Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for about 15 minutes. Remove the bay leaf, remove from heat and set aside.

In the meantime, in another pot combine the potatos and evaporated milk.  Cook over medium heat until potatos are tender, 15-20 minutes.  Stir often. (Note: keep an eye on this, it will boil over quickly.  This may be experience speaking. :p )

Pour the potato mixture into the soup pot and stir to mix evenly.

Add the brie, and using your immersion blender, blend until smooth (or desired consistency).  You can also puree it in small batches in your blender or food processor, adding the brie a bit at a time to each batch.

Garnish with thin apple slices if you would prefer.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667