11/30/2009

Pumpkin Mac 'n Cheese

I made this Pumpkin Mac 'n Cheese for Thanksgiving this year.  I combined this recipe and this recipe, and then added in a few things of my own.  I liked that this recipe uses no heavy cream or butter.  And I used Whole Grain pasta to make it a bit healthier.



I thought this was delicious!!  I think most people ended up really liking it.  It's definitely something different, but I really loved the mixture of different flavors.  (Ingredient amounts, especially the spices, are estimates, so go with your own tastes.)

Ingredients:
16 ou small pasta (I used whole grain Farfelle)
1 c milk
3 c pumpkin puree
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 T olive oil
1 c chicken broth
8 ou gruyere, shredded
8 ou sharp cheddar, shredded
1/2 c ricotta
2 T Dijon mustard
Nutmeg, mace, ground cloves - to taste
Salt & pepper, to taste
1/2 c grated Parmesan, divided
1/4 c panko

Directions:
Cook the pasta according to package directions until just al dente.

Preheat oven to 375.

Heat oil in a large skillet with high sides.  Saute garlic and onions until tender.

Add the pumpkin, milk and broth.  Bring to a boil then turn to a simmer for about 5 minutes.

Mix in the gruyere, cheddar, ricotta, mustard, 1/4 c Parm, and seasonings.  Remove from heat.

Combine pasta with pumpkin/cheese mixture.  Pour into a prepared 9x13 baking dish.

Mix the remaining 1/4 c Parm with the Panko, and sprinkle over the top.

Cover and cook about 20 minutes, then cook another 10 minutes until Panko topping is lightly browned.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667