12/16/2009

Spicy African Yam Soup

Recipe from allrecipes.com 



I really liked this soup. I have to be honest, because as I was cooking it, especially after I put in the peanut butter, I was really unsure about this recipe.  I thought the peanut butter smelled really overpowering, but, in actuality, it wasn't at all.  It blended with the rest of the flavors, but didn't stand out at all.  Very good soup!

I made some Pita Chips to go with it.  I just cut them into triangles, salted and sprinkled with cumin, and baked in a single layer for about 15 minutes at 350, until crispy and lightly browned.

Ingredients:
1 t vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
4 c chicken broth
1 t dried thyme
1/2 t ground cumin
1 c chunky salsa
1 can garbanzo beans, drained
1 c diced zucchini
1/2 c cooked rice
2 T creamy peanut butter

Directions:
Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat.  Add onions, garlic and sweet potato and cook until onion is tender, about 5-7 minutes.

Add the chicken broth, thyme and cumin and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook about 15 minutes.

Add the salsa, beans and zucchini and simmer another 15 minutes.

Stir in the cooked rice and peanut butter until peanut butter is dissolved.  Serve with pita chips.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667