12/08/2009

Turkey Meatballs w/ Quick and Spicy Tomato Sauce

Recipe from Ellie Krieger



I love recipes that can be used for multiple meals.  I made this over pasta for dinner last night, and I plan to make meatball hoagies later in the week with the leftovers. :)

J and I both thought this was great.  The meatballs were really flavorful and the sauce had just enough spice without being overpowering.  I made this in advance on Sunday, so all I had to do last night was reheat it and cook the noodles.

This recipe called for fresh herbs, but I didn't want to buy them just for a tablespoon or less, so I just used dry.

Ingredients:
Sauce:
1 T olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 T tomato paste
1 (28-ou can) fire roasted diced tomatos
1 t finely minced canned chipotle in adobo
1/2 t dried oregano
1/2 t dried rosemary
Salt
1 T dried basil
(note: I also added in some water at the end, as it was a bit too thick for my tastes)

Meatballs:
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 c bread crumbs
1/4 c grated Parmesan
1/2 c finely grated carrot
1/2 c finely chopped onion
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 t dried parsley
1 t dried thyme
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 t salt
Pepper

Directions:
For the sauce, in a large saucepan heat the oil over medium heat.  Add the onions until translucent, then add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute more.

Add remaining ingredients and bring to a low boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, until liquid has evaporated slightly.

For the meatballs - preheat the broiler and spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.

Combine turkey with all other ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  Form the turkey into 1-inch balls (the recipe says 2 1/2-inch, but I wanted mine smaller - this made about 24 meatballs) and place on the cookie sheet.

Broil for about 7-8 minutes, turning once, until browned and almost cooked through.  Remove from the oven and place in the sauce.  Cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes.  Serve over pasta (or however you wish to eat it.) :)

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667