5/10/2010

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

Recipe from meat + potatos


I've seen this recipe on a couple of blogs, and was really intrigued by it.  Pizza crust made with cauliflower?  Interesting!

This was really delicious!  J loved it!  The mixture is very wet, so this does have to cook awhile.  And it is a bit of a PITA can put together, since you have to rice the cauliflower, but I think it's worth it.

Some things I may change: I think next time I'll use fresh cauliflower and steam it.  The frozen cauliflower had a ton of water in it.  I tried to drain it as much as I could, but it was still really wet.  I think using fresh would help a bit. 

I also discovered I really don't like the taste of garlic powder.  I very rarely use any form of dried garlic, and now I know why.  Next time I'll skip it and sprinkled on some minced garlic cloves when I put on the toppings.

The crust is a bit fragile.  We were able to pick it up, but we had to do it carefully or it would fall apart.  Overall, I would definitely try this again.  I think you could switch up the flavors of the crust a bit if you want, just try to keep the same ratio of dry to wet ingredients.  Maybe make it mexican with mexican blend cheese and chili powder, and plain bread crumbs!

I just did regular pizza toppings - marinara, mozzarella, pepperoni and mushrooms.

Ingredients:
1 c riced cauliflower
1/2 c shredded cheese (I used mozzarella)
1 T Italian breadcrumbs
1 egg
1/2 t garlic powder
1 t parsley flakes

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375.

Cook cauliflower according to package directions.  You want it soft but not mushy. Run it through your ricer, trying to get rid of as much water as you possibly can. (If you don't have a ricer, a food mill works (what I used), or you can grate it.)

Measure out a cup by spooning, but not packing down, the cauliflower into a measuring cup.

Mix in the remaining ingredients.

Use a non-stick baking sheet, or place parchment paper over a baking sheet, and spray liberally with cooking spray.  Pour the mixture onto the sheet and shape into a circle.

Depending on your oven, and how wet the mixture is, this could probably take anywhere from 30-60 minutes to cook.  It took mine about an hour, start to finish.

Place the cookie sheet in the oven, once it has browned all over (edges may burn just a bit) remove from oven.  Slide it onto a platter or plate, then flip back onto the cookie sheet, so the bottom is now the top.  Place back in the oven to brown the other side (10-15 minutes).

Remove and flip one more time.  Add your toppings and return to the oven until cheese is melted.  About 5-10 minutes.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667