5/19/2010

Mexican Couscous

Recipe from Fish Food


This couscous was delicious!  It had great flavor!

The recipe says to chill this before serving, but I didn't have the time, so I served it at room temperature.  We then ate the leftovers the next day, cold.  I thought it was much better at room temperature.

I looked at three different grocery stores for the chipotle in adobo, and, of course, couldn't find them anywhere.  So I had to skip that ingredient.  I think that would've been a great addition, however.

Ingredients:
2 c water or chicken stock
1 T cumin
2 t garlic powder
1 t chili powder
1 t paprika
1 chipotle pepper in adobo, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 1/2 c couscous (one box)
1/2 c black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 c tomatos, seeded and diced
1/3 c red onions, minced
1/4 c cilantro, minced
1/4 c crumbled queso fresco cheese

Directions:
In a medium saucepan, combine the water or chicken stock through the salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil.  Pour in couscous, gently stir, cover and remove from heat.  Let sit for five minutes.

Fluff couscous with a fork and fold in the remaining ingredients.  Serve cold or at room temperature.

2 comments:

Molly P.

Ooh, this looks good! Mike is always wanting me to make couscous, but I think it's boring. I'm gonna try this. Thanks!

I can never keep things like straight, but isn't it 'tomatoes' and not 'tomatos'? So confusing. :P

Unknown

You can usually find Chipoltes in Adobo sauce in the ethnic food aisle by mexican foods. They are in a red can past the taco shells in my Giant Eagle. Hope this helps if you look for them again!

And the recipe looks great!

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667