5/13/2010

Shakshouka

Recipe from Cara's Cravings


This is another recipe that takes us out of our comfort zone.  As I was preparing it, J walked in the kitchen, looked at everything I had prepped, and said, "That's a lot of vegetables.  Is that it?"  I just laughed and said "yep, that's it.  And some bread."  He loves bread, so it was all okay. :)

But we both really liked this dish.  He mentioned it would be great with cheese.  And I agree that a crumbly cheese like feta would taste delicious in this dish.

This is one of those dishes where you can kind of create it as you like it.  Want zucchini instead of eggplant?  Do you like a different mixture of peppers?  Maybe you like spicier or milder? Go right ahead! I think you can do a lot with this simple recipe.

I loved the idea of whole garlic cloves.  They were so good spread onto the bread I served with it. :)

Ingredients:
1/2 T olive oil
1/2 large onion, diced
1 cubanelle pepper, diced (I couldn't find cubanelle, and I'm sorry but I have no idea what kind of pepper I grabbed instead)
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 small eggplant, diced
5 cloved garlic, minced
8 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
1 t cumin
1/4 t coriander
1/4 t oregano
1/2 t paprika
Pinch cayenne pepper (if desired)
1 28 ou can whole, peeled tomatos
4 large eggs

Directions:
In a large saucepan or dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat.  Add the onion, followed by the peppers as you dice them.  Mix in the garlic and spices, stirring for about 1 minute to coat everything.

Mix in the whole tomatos.  Press with a wooden spoon to break them up.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

Remove cover, take the heat up to medium-high for 5 minutes, to thicken.

Break the eggs over the top - may be easier if you break them into a bowl, then pour over the veggies.

Cover again for about 5 minutes.  Egg yolks should be soft, but not runny.

Scoop into bowls and serve with bread.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667