5/04/2010

Southwestern Egg & Black Bean Skillet

Recipe from Cara's Cravings


This recipe is something that is slightly outside of our comfort zone.  Typically when I do a meatless meal it usually is in the form of a pasta dish.  I was a little nervous about the taste.  I never make any dishes where beans are the main ingredient.  And I was also worried about it being filling enough, especially for J.

I was wrong on both counts!  It had just a little bit of spice to it and really great southwestern flavors.  And I was stuffed.  I actually had to leave a few bites because I just couldn't fit anymore.  This will for sure go on our meatless rotation.  It only took about 25 minutes to make and, since it was a one-pot meal, easy clean-up!

I served this with thick-sliced bread that I spread with butter (that I had mixed with garlic and cilantro) and then sprinkled with queso fresco cheese.  Then I placed it under the broiler in the toaster oven for a few minutes to warm it up. :)

Ingredients:
1 t olive oil
1/2 c chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/3 c frozen corn
1 can drained, rinsed black beans
Salt & pepper, to taste
1/2 t cumin
1/2 t chili powder
Pinch coriander
10 ou can diced tomatos w/ green chilis
2 large eggs
2 ou queso fresco
Avocado and cilantro, for garnish

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In an oven safe skillet (I used my cast iron) heat the olive oil over medium heat.  Add the onion and saute for about 5 minutes, until tender and translucent.  Add the garlic, beans and corn for about 2 minutes, until garlic is fragrant, then mix in the salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder and coriander.

Add the diced tomatos, turn heat up to high, and bring to a boil.  Cover, lower heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.

Remove cover and carefully break the eggs over the black bean mixture. Place in oven for about 7-10 minutes, until eggs are soft-set.

Sprinkle with queso fresco, cilantro and serve with avocado slices.  Serve hot.

2 comments:

Cara

glad you liked it! We just had this again the other night too :)

Debbie

Looks really good!

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667