8/19/2010

Sweet & Spicy Red Cabbage

My Aunt Sharon sent me this recipe when I mentioned to her that I have 3 large heads of red cabbage in our garden, and no idea what to do with them!  :)  This weekend I will be using one of them to make some lamb & couscous stuffed cabbage (some for dinner and I'll freeze the rest).  Since it's red cabbage, I wanted to play around with something a little different than traditional stuffed cabbage.  I'll let you know next week how it turns out!


I used one head of cabbage on this recipe.  The recipe calls for 12 pounds (about 3 heads) but I didn't want to use them all for the same thing.

So I haven't tasted this yet, but my Aunt and Uncle love it!  I think it would be great over a pork roast.  The recipe made about 5 1/2 pints using one head of cabbage.

Does anyone have any ideas for my third and final head of red cabbage?

Ingredients:
12 pounds (about 3 large heads) red cabbage, cored and shredded
Salt
1 c brown sugar
1/2 c mustard seed
1/4 c mace
2 quarts wine vinegar
1/4 c whole cloves
1/4 c whole allspice
1/4 c peppercorns
1/4 c celery seed
2 sticks cinnamon

Directions:
Place cabbage in a large bowl, salting each layer of cabbage.  Cover tightly and let it sit in a cool, dry place for 24 hours.

Drain the cabbage thoroughly on paper towel lined trays - about 6 hours.

Sterilize your jars  and lids and prepare your water bath canner.

Combine the sugar, mustard seed, mace, and vinegar a large stockpot.  Tie the remaining spices into a spice bag, and add to the vinegar mixture. Boil for 5 minutes.

Pack your cabbage into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch head space.  Remove the spice bag from the vinegar mixture, and ladle the hot liquid into the jars, leaving 1/4-inch head space.  Remove air bubbles and place on lids and bands to fingertip tight.

Process quarts for 20 minutes, pints for 15.  Check the seal after 12-24 hours.  If not sealed, refrigerate immediately.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667