11/10/2010

Salsa Bean Soup

Recipe from Cooking Light


I came across this recipe as I was searching for some meat-free, easy recipes that would be great for weeknight meals.  It was extremely quick and easy to make, and I was actually surprised at how good and flavorful it turned out. 

I think I slightly over blended the beans, however.  I used my immersion blender instead of transferring half of them to my blender, and I slightly overdid it.  I didn't mind it, but J does like some chunks in his soups, so that was his one complaint. But he also really liked the flavor.

I served it with cheesy tortillas.  I just piled some cheese onto half a tortilla shell, then heated it up in the skillet until both sides were lightly browned and the cheese was melted.

Ingredients:
1 t vegetable oil
1 T minced garlic (about 2-3 cloves)
2 c water
1/2 t chipotle chili powder
3 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
8 ounce salsa
1 T fresh lime juice
1/2 c chopped fresh cilantro (didn't have this so I skipped it)
1/2 c shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Directions:
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, then mix in water, chili powder, beans and salsa.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and then simmer for one minute.

Place 3 cups of the black bean mixture into your blender and blend until smooth. (I used the immersion blender here, just be careful of how much you blend it.) 

Return the pureed mixture to the pan and add in the lime juice, then simmer for 10 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in cilantro, if using.

Serve sprinkled with Monterey Jack cheese.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667