12/23/2010

Veggie Quinoa Soup

Recipe from Oh She Glows


Loved this soup!  J had his usual complaint about the lack of meat, but again, it didn't stop him from taking seconds or leftovers in his lunch. :)

The curry, cinnamon and nutmeg really work well together in this soup.  This was my first time cooking with quinoa and I discovered that I like it.  I'll definitely use it more often now.

Because J doesn't like his soup to be too soupy, I did add more quinoa and veggies than the recipe calls for, but I'm just going to put the original amounts, because I'm not really sure how much extra I actually added.  Oh, I also did 6 bouillon cubes, because it said on the package 1 cube per cup of water.

Ingredients:
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
1/2 c quinoa
1 T EVOO
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium zucchini, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
6 beef bouillon cubes
6 c hot water
15 our can diced tomatoes
15 ou can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 t curry powder
Pinch of cinnamon
Pinch of nutmeg
2 c baby spinach, roughly chopped
1/2 t kosher salt
Pepper, to taste

Directions:
Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add onion and saute over medium heat until translucent. Add the carrots, zucchini and garlic and continue to saute for 5-7 minutes.

Add the water and bouillon cubes and bring to a boil. Mix in the quinoa, tomatoes, spices, salt and pepper.  Boil and then simmer for about 15-20 minutes.

Add the spinach, stir well and then cover. Simmer on low for 15-35 minutes. The longer you simmer, the better the flavors will combine.  Adjust seasonings as needed, and serve!

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667