10/05/2011

Popcorn Month

Who doesn't love popcorn? It may be my favorite snack food, and this month, we get to celebrate it!

That's right... October is National Popcorn Poppin' Month! I'm tempted to eat popcorn every day for the rest of October. No, I wouldn't get sick of it. The smell of popcorn completely vanishes all of my willpower.

And don't even get me started on movie theatre popcorn. I don't think it can get any better than that!

Did you know?
  • Most popcorn comes in two basic shapes when it's popped: snowflake and mushroom. Snowflake is used in movie theaters and ballparks because it looks and pops bigger. Mushroom is used for candy confections because it doesn't crumble.
  • Popping popcorn is one of the number one uses for microwave ovens. Most microwave ovens have a "popcorn" control button.
  • How high popcorn kernels can pop? Up to 3 feet in the air.
  • 'Old Maids', the kernels that you find at the bottom of your popcorn that don't pop, can be rejuvenated. The water in kernels is what causes popcorn to pop, so all you need to do is re-hydrate the dried kernels. (I'll be trying this trick next time I make popcorn!)
  • The oldest ears of popcorn ever found were discovered in the Bat Cave of west central New Mexico in 1948 and 1950. Ranging from smaller than a penny to about 2 inches, the oldest Bat Cave ears are about 4,000 years old.
  • It is believed that the first use of wild and early cultivated corn was popping.
I like my popcorn covered in butter and salt (yes, I take all the healthiness right out of it). How do you like yours?

And now I'm really craving some popcorn!

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667