10/27/2008

Cannelloni


I found this recipe in one of my Italian cookbooks and made it once about a year ago. It's really good! :) My husband loves it!

Ingredients:
About 14 manicotti shells, 1 package (I cooked all 14, but only used 12)
8 ounces lean ground beef or bulk Italian sausage
1 c chopped onion
8 ounce cream cheese, softened
2 eggs, beaten
10 ou package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1 1/2 c soft bread crumbs (2 slices bread)
3/4 c shredded mozzarella
2 1/2 c Marinara sauce
2 T grated parmesan (I used shredded cause it's what I had)

Directions:
Cook manicotti according to package directions. Drain well and arrange them on a greased piece of foil to cool.

Meanwhile. in a large skillet cook the ground beef (or sausage) and onion until meat is brown and onion is tender, drain fat and remove from heat.

Stir softened cream cheese and eggs into meat mixture in skillet and then add spinach, bread crumbs and mozzarella cheese.Preheat oven to 350 and using a small spoon, spoon meat filling into manicotti shells. (I packed them pretty well, which is one reason I only used 12 shells.)
Arrange filled shells in a 9x13 baking dish. (I spread some marinara sauce over the bottom of the dish first.) Once all of the filling is gone, pour marinara sauce over shells and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Bake for about 30 minutes.I served these with homemade Italian Herb Bread.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667