11/24/2008

Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore

My husband and I went to visit a friend of ours yesterday at his house, and I wanted to make us some dinner. He doesn't have an oven, so I figured something in the crockpot would be easiest.

I found this recipe in one of my slow cooker cookbooks. We thought it was good, but I think it was definitely missing something.

I think it could have used some crushed red pepper to spice it up. (I did add some to the leftovers, and I have it for lunch today, so I'll let you know if it worked.)

I served it over fettuccine with Tuscany bread on the side - it would probably also be good over rice or on its own.

Ingredients:
1/4 c flour
1/2 t salt
1 t dried Italian seasoning
1/4 t fresh ground pepper
3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 medium onion, chopped
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14 ou) can diced tomatos, with juices
1 c pasta sauce or tomato sauce
2 T dry white wine
1 bay leaf
1/4 c fresh chopped parsley
2 T freshly grated Parmesan

Directions:
In a heavy plastic bag, combine flour, salt, Italian seasoning and pepper. In batches, add chicken pieces to flour mixture and toss to coat. (I actually had to put about another 1/2 of these ingredients in the bag to coat all of the pieces.)
Place chicken into slow cooker.

Add remaining ingredients.
Cover and cook on Low for 5 to 7 hours or on High for 2 1/5 to 4 hours, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a fork.
Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667