11/06/2008

Healthy (er) Mac n' Cheese

Okay - so Mac n' Cheese is never healthy - but this is better than most! I got this recipe from Cara's Cravings. She has the nutritional information on her blog.

This tasted really good, however, it was a bit dried out. Totally my fault. The Parmesan Crusted Pork took longer than I expected, so I left this in probably about 15 minutes longer than I should have. Next time, I'll make sure to take it out on time. Also - I may add a bit more cheddar - just cause I looooove cheese. :)

Oh, and probably a little less bread crumbs - I don't like quite that much of a crust on my mac n' cheese. Just a personal preference.

Ingredients:
1.5 c 1% cottage cheese
1.5 cups skim or buttermilk (I used buttermilk)
1 t dried or 1 T prepared mustard (I used prepared)
Pinch of cayenne
1/2 t nutmeg
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1/4 c grated onion
1 c grated extra-sharp cheddar (I used shredded cause it's what we had)
1/2 lb uncooked elbow macaroni
2 T grated parmesan or pecorino
1/4 cup bread crumbs (I used Italian cause it's what we had)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375. Prepare a 9" square baking pan with a light coating of cooking spray or oil.

In a blender, combine the cottage cheese, milk, mustard, cayenne, nutmeg, salt and pepper and puree until smooth.
In a large bowl, combine the onion, cheddar and macaroni. Then mix in the contents of the blender. Stir well, and then pour into the baking pan.
Combine grated parmesan with the bread crumbs and sprinkle over the top of the mixture.

Bake for 45 minutes, or until topping is browned and center is firm.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667