12/16/2008

Chicken Tortilla Soup

I got this recipe from The Kitchen Canister, originally of Tyler Florence from the Food Network.

I used a few of her adaptions and we thought this turned out really great! It took me about an hour from start to finish.

Ingredients:
2 T EVOO
2 medium white onions, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
3 ripe medium tomatos, chopped
1 quart chicken stock (I used a little more than a quart - maybe 1 1/4)
Salt and pepper to taste
8 corn tortillas, cut into 1/8 thick strips (I only made 2, I thought 8 was way too much)
1 1/2 c shredded cooked chicken
2 avocados, pitted, peeled and diced (unfortunately the avocado we bought turned out to be bad, so this was omitted)
1 c shredded Jack cheese (I had Sharp Cheddar so that's what I used)
1/2 c coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
1 lime, cut into wedges

Directions:
Place a stockpot over medium heat and add in the EVOO. Add the onions, garlic, jalapeno and tomatos and cook, stirring, for about 15 minutes until the vegetables are cooked down and pulpy.
Next add your chicken stock, add your salt and pepper to taste, and simmer for about 20 minutes. (I also added a little bit of dried cilantro.)

In the meantime - cook and shred your chicken. I cut 2 chicken breasts into strips, cook them in a skillet and then shredded. And prep your avocado, lime and cilantro and set to the side.
Also - per The Kitchen Canister's suggestion, I also cooked about 1 c of Basmati rice - to make the meal a bit more hearty.

Finally - the original recipe calls to fry your tortillas in hot oil in the skillet. I again took the suggestion of The Kitchen Canister and put them on a baking sheet, sprayed with oil, and sprinkled with cumin and cinnamon. I baked them at 400 for about 5-7 minutes, until a very light golden brown.

Once everything is cooked and prepped - spoon about 2 Tablespoons of rice in the bottom of each bowl, and then ladle on the soup. Pile the shredded chicken on top, then the shredded cheese and avocado. Garnish with a sprinkle of cilantro and a wedge of lime. And place your tortilla strips on top.

Eat and enjoy!!

This was a great meal - we each had 2 bowls!

3 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago

This looks perfect for the winter!

Unknown

i'm glad you liked it! I thought it was pretty easy to make and quite delicious!

Pam

It's been freezing here lately - this soup would warm me right up. Great recipe.

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667