1/06/2009

Spanakopita

I've wanted to try to work with filo dough for a while, and let's just say that it was an interesting experience.

I had a recipe for spanakopita bars, but I apparently like to make things more difficult for myself, and went the whole nine yards with the triangles.

I don't like filo. It was a huge pain in the ***. About the first half of my spanakopita were pretty ugly. Towards the end they began to look a little better. But in the process, I probably threw away half of my dough because it broke, or was sticking together or some other mishap.

But... on the good side, they did taste good. So at least it wasn't all for nothing. :) Next time though, I think I'll do the bars. :p

I made the filling from the bar recipe that I had, then followed a recipe for mini spanakopita from the Cooking Light website for the rest. This made around 40 triangles.

Note: I prepared the filling in advance and refrigerated, then put it all together the following day.

Ingredients:
3-5 T Olive Oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2-4 green onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 lbs baby spinach (rough chopped without stems)
OR
2 (10 ou) boxes frozen spinach, thawed, drained and squeeze dried (I used the frozen)
2 T flour
3 T fresh dill, chopped
3 T fresh parsley, chopped
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 containers (6 ou.) crumbled feta
Handful of parmesan
4 eggs, lightly beaten
Salt and pepper to taste
1 package filo
2 T olive oil
1/4 t salt
2 large egg whites

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add all onions and saute until transparent, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and heat for another 1-2 minutes. Finally add the spinach and cook until wilted or warmed through (depending on which kind you use).
Next stir in the flour, mix well and remove from heat. Put it aside to cool for about 10-15 minutes. This cooling period should absorb the excess liquid.

In a large bowl, mix the feta, parmesan, beaten egg, dill, parsley and salt and pepper. Then mix in the spinach mixture. After it is mixed well, stir in the lemon juice.
Your filling is ready to go.

In a small bowl, combine the remaining olive oil, salt and egg whites. Stir with a whisk.

Prepare your working space by taking out 2 baking sheets, a pastry brush and a damp (clean) tea towel.

Note: Do not remove the filo from the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.


At this point get your filo and open up one package. Quickly but gently unroll it and set it on the counter and cover it with your damp towel.

Working with one filo sheet at a time, cut each sheet lenghwise into 4 (3 1/2 inch wide) strips.

Lightly brush the sheet with the egg white mixture.

Take about 1 tablespoon of your filling and place on one end of the strip of filo. Beginning on the end with the filling, fold the strip into a triangle, similar to the way in which you would fold a flag.

Repeat with the remaining dough and filling and se them on the baking sheets.
Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Good luck! This is much easier said then done. :)

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago

I love working with phyllo dough and even better is making it from scratch! I found that using several sheets and brushing each sheet with butter really helps alot. I need to make spanakopita again soon!

Kristen616

I love spanakopita but have never made it myself! Looks like something I will have to try. :)

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667