1/06/2009

Braised Red Cabbage

From The Pioneer Woman Cooks!I made this for Christmas Eve. The taste was amazing and it smelled delicious as it cooked! It was a huge hit among everyone and I got quite a few recipe requests. I highly recommend trying it out.

It's a really easy recipe to make.

Ingredients:
1 medium head red cabbage
1 small onion
2 tart apples (slightly sour) (I believe I used Granny Smith)
2 T butter
1 bay leaf
Pinch cinnamon
2 cloves
1/2 c red wine (I just used cooking wine)
2 T vinegar (I used red wine vinegar)
1 T brown sugar
salt and pepper
nutmeg
Thyme (optional)

Directions:
Finely mince a small to medium onion. No big chunks. I put it into a small food processor.

Take the cabbage and cut it in half, then into quarters. Remove the hard stalk and the tougher outer leaves. Then use a sharp knife to shred it.
Mix your red wine and vinegar in a measuring cup. Then grab a large pan with a thick bottom. Add your 2 T butter and let it melt, then add the onion, cinnamon, bay leaf and cloves.

Saute the onions for about 5 minutes. Next add your cabbage and the red wine mixture. Then add a heaping tablespoon of brown sugar (2 if you like it sweeter - I used 2) and stir.

If you would like, now is the time to add the thyme.

Bring the wine to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.

While the cabbage simmers, peel and dice your apples.

After 15 minutes add your apples, mix, put the lid back on and cook on a low heat for 45 minutes.

All that's left to do is melt in a tiny knob of butter (about 1 T), and season with the salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.

1 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago

I don't normally cook with red cabbage but now you've given me a reason to! I love that rich color!

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667