1/13/2009

Tomato Couscous

From Gillian's Goodness.

I had never actually had couscous until I made this recipe. I thought it tasted great, but I'm not too sure about the texture. It's definitely something different, and a little odd at first. But I will probably try cooking with it again. Maybe it's just something I have to get used to.

Ingredients:
1 14.5 ou can diced tomatos, drain (keep the juice)
3/4 c uncooked couscous (plain)
1 T olive oil
Salt to taste
1/2 t oregano
1/8 t ground cloves
Good pinch of cayenne
1 T small capers, drained
Vegetable broth or water

Directions:
Take 1 cup of juice from the tomatos. If it doesn't equal 1 cup, add vegetable broth or water to the juice (I used water).

In a medium saucepan, mix the juice, olive oil and oregano. Cover, set to medium high and bring to a boil.

Slowly mix in the couscous, stirring continuously, and then quickly add the salt, cloves and cayenne. Remove from heat, cover and let sit for 5 minutes.

Stir in the tomatos and capers and let sit for another 2-3 minutes, until tomatos are warm.

3 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago

Couscous is one of our fave starches because its so light, absorbs the main dish flavors and so quick to make! It's like rice... only better! I'll have to try this out. Normally we like our couscous "dry" so this is a nice change.

Lisa

This is a great way to serve couscous!

Colleen

My husband doesn't like the texture of couscous either so I barely make it - maybe this will change his mind!

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667