2/17/2009

Basil Shrimp Orzo

Based off of And a Cookie for Dessert.

This was a really good, very easy meal. I made a few changes from the original: orzo instead of angel hair, shrimp instead of chicken, tomato paste instead of half & half, and crushed red pepper instead of hot sauce.

Ingredients:
About 8 ou orzo pasta
2 T olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 (14 ou) can diced tomatos with garlic and basil
20 shrimp, peeled and deveined - could use more for more people, but this was 2 servings - enough for J and I, and I didn't want it in the leftovers
1/4 c fresh basil, chopped
Salt & pepper, to taste
Crushed red pepper, to taste
1 1/2 T tomato paste
Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

In a large skillet, saute your onions and garlic in the oil for about 5 minutes. After about 3 minutes add in the shrimp.

Then add the diced tomatos, basil, salt and pepper, red pepper, and tomato paste. Reduce heat to medium and cover skillet. Simmer for about 5 minutes until mixture is hot.

Turn off the heat and add the orzo to the skillet. Sprinkle in some Parmesan cheese and mix together.

I also served with a bit of Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top of each serving.

4 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago

Now this is a dish I could gobble up - yum!!

Amy

This looks delicious! I'm bookmarking this one :)

Kristen616

Looks delicious!!! I've been looking for a recipe with shrimp, I'll have to try it!

Colleen

This looks so good! I love the shrimp and orzo adaptations!

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667