2/25/2009

Mushroom Risotto


So this was my first time making risotto. The taste was great, but I'm not sure the texture was quite right. I have a little work to do, but I will definitely be trying this again.

I didn't really follow a specific recipe. I checked out a bunch of different recipes, and BensBabe on The Nest, What's Cooking board, posted basic risotto instructions, so I mostly followed that, then added in the seasonings and veggie that I wanted.

Although I think the general rule of thumb is 3-4 times the broth for every serving (1/4 c) of arborio, I actually ended up using closer to 5 times the broth for each serving.

This recipe is for 2 people.

Ingredients:
1/2 c arborio
2 c (or more if needed) chicken broth
Olive oil
About 1 T butter
4-5 Green onions, or small onion finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
Dried sage (probably used 1-2 t)
6-8 mini portobellos, sliced
Parmesan Cheese, grated

Directions:
You'll need 2 saucepans. In one, heat your chicken broth until just simmering, and then turn it to low to keep it warm. Add the portobellos to this for a few minutes to soften them up, then remove them with a slotted spoon and set aside.

In the second, heat a bit of oil and butter. Cook the onion over medium heat until tender, then add the garlic for another 30-60 seconds.

Add the arborio to the onions and cook for a few minutes, to toast the rice.

Now you'll begin adding the broth. Add one ladle full of broth (at this point I also added the mushrooms and sage), and, stirring frequently, keep over a low heat. Allow the arborio to completely absorb the broth before you add another ladle. Continue adding broth in this manner until the rice is to desired tenderness.

Once all broth is added and has been absorbed, remove from heat and stir in desired amount of cheese. Cover and let sit for a few minutes to thicken up before serving.

1 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago

I love mushroom risotto (actually any kind of risotto!) and a creamy texture is what to look for. It looks creamy!!

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667