5/12/2009

Alton Brown's Pretzels (almost)

Recipe from Food Network

I've seen many blogs raving about this pretzel recipe from Alton Brown. This weekend J went home to see his mom on Saturday, and I was home by myself. I figured that would be the perfect time to try it out.

However - I did make 2 changes - I used 1.5 c of whole wheat flour, and the rest was AP. Also, I added in about 2 T of honey, just to sweeten it up a bit.

I really like these! Great flavor and texture. I like to throw them in the toaster, then eat them with some mustard on the side. :)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 c warm (110-115 degrees) water
1 T sugar
2 t kosher salt
1 package active dry yeast
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
3 c AP flour
2 ounces unsalted butter, melted
2 T honey
Vegetable oil
10 c water
2/3 c baking soda
1 large egg yolk beaten w/ 1 T water
Pretzel salt (I used kosher because it's all I had)

Directions:
Combine the water, sugar and kosher salt in the bowl of a stand mixer, then sprinkle the yeast on top. Let sit for about 5 minutes until it begins to foam.

Add the flour, butter and honey and, using the dough hook, mix on low speed until well combined.

Change to medium speed and knead dough until it is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl, about 4-5 minutes.

Remove dough, clean bowl and oil with vegetable oil. Return dough to bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap and put in a warm place for about 50-55 minutes or until it is doubled in size.

Preheat oven to 450. Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper and a thin layer of vegetable oil.

Bring 10 cups of water and baking soda to a boil in a large saucepan or roasting pan.

In the meantime, turn dough out onto slightly oiled work surface and cut into 8 equal pieces.

Roll each piece into a 24-inch long rope. Make a U-shape with the rope, hold the ends of the rope and twist over each other, then press on the bottom of the U to make a pretzel shape.

Place the pretzels into the boiling water, one at a time, for 30 seconds each.

Brush pretzels with the egg yolk/water mixture and sprinkle with salt.

Bake until dark golden brown in color, about 12-14 minutes. Allow to cool on a cooling rack at least 5 minutes before serving.

3 comments:

ErinsFoodFiles

These look great! I've made homemade pretzels, but they didn't look as good as yours! And I love your use of WW flour. Great idea!

womanwithawhisk/geekchicbride

Love the idea to make these with honey and WW flour! I'm definitely trying that next time. Thanks for the tip!

What's Cookin Chicago

I plan on having a preztel day very soon! These look wonderful!

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667