5/12/2009

Amish Baked Oatmeal

Recipe from Vintage Victuals

Normally for breakfast I bring a Special K bar every morning to work. But I decided that I really wanted something different. I've seen quite a few recipes for baked oatmeal, so I decided to give it a try.

This is a really great recipe - I love the flavor, and it's really healthy. Of course, you can leave out the chocolate and make it even more healthy. I'll be making another batch this weekend. :)

I have been throwing it in the microwave for about 30 seconds to warm it up before I eat it. It think it's definitely better warm. :) This made 9 baked oatmeal bars.

I decided to make it with dried cranberries and almond slivers, and I threw in some sunflower seeds as well. I wanted to use hazelnuts, but I couldn't find them anywhere. I'm going to try again this weekend, though. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

Ingredients:
2 c rolled oats
(Note: rolled oats are any oats that have been rolled flat - I just buy Quaker Oats Traditional. Don't use the instant for baking, unless it's specified in the recipe.)
2 c light vanilla soy milk
2 eggs
1 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
Pinch nutmeg
2 T honey
1/2 c dried cranberries
1/2 c slivered almonds
1/4 c sunflower seeds
1/4 c semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 and grease an 8x8 baking dish.

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, then pour into the dish.

Bake for 30-40 minutes, until top is a golden brown.

You'll want to wait until it cools to cut it to make it easier. I tried to cut it sooner (I really wanted to try it), and it started to fall apart on me. :p

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago

This looks way better than the oatmeal packets I eat! Looks delicious!

Ellie

Isn't this recipe fun? So good warmed up in the morning, and the varieties you could make are ENDLESS!

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667