6/10/2009

Greek Stuffed Flank Steak

Recipe from Joelen's Culinary Adventures

This was really good, both J and I went back for seconds. However, this does take a while to cook. I definitely was expecting it to be done a lot sooner than it was, and it ended up being in the oven about 45 minutes to 1 hour. And it still was pinker than I really wanted. I just got annoyed and ate it anyway. :p Who knows though, maybe it was just my oven.

A few things I may change - I think the steak needs a bit more seasoning than just salt and pepper, though I'm not sure what exactly. 10 ou was a lot of spinach - I'd probably do 7 or 8 ounces, add a bit more feta and roasted red peppers, and maybe some tomato. Also - I think it would be good to season the filling with some red wine vinegar.

I didn't quite use all of the filling, but I wouldn't cut back on the total quantity too much.

All that said - it really was good! But there's always room for improvement. :)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs flank steak, trimmed and pounded to even thickness
1/2 c onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
10 ou frozen spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
1/2 c roasted red peppers
1/3 c feta, crumbled
2 tablespoons bread crumbs
Salt & pepper, to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425.

In a large skillet put about 1 T olive oil, and cook the onions over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes. Add the garlic for another 30 seconds and then remove from heat. Stir in the spinach, feta, peppers, and bread crumbs and season with salt and pepper.

Place the steak on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Season with salt and pepper.

Spread the filling over the steak, leaving about 1/2 inch around the edges.

Take some thick string or twine - roll the side edges up and tie together with the string at about 2 inch intervals.

Bake for about 10 minutes, then turn heat to 375 and cook for at least another 25 minutes, or until desired doneness. Let stand 10 minutes for juices to redistribute and cut into about 6 slices.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667