6/05/2009

Indian Spiced Chicken Pitas

From eatingwell.com

As you know I've been trying to eat healthier, and I've been doing pretty well. With our schedule in the evenings, especially with me fitting in workout classes, I really need to find recipes that are quick and easy. This one fit the bill, and it was delicious as well!!

I actually cooked the chicken a day in advance and then put it in the refrigerator. I had J take it out about 10-15 minutes before we were going to eat to allow it to come to room temp. You could warm it up as well, if you prefer.

J and I each ate a whole pita, no sides, and it was plenty for us for dinner.

Ingredients:
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 1/2 t garam masala, divided
1 c thinly sliced seed cucumber (I didn't seed it, I thinly sliced it then quartered the slices)
3/4 c nonfat plain yogurt
1 T chopped fresh mint or cilantro (I used mint)
2 t lemon juice (I didn't have any lemon juice, so I used lime)
Salt & pepper, to taste
4 6-inch whole wheat pitas, warmed (just put them in the microwave for about 30 seconds)
1 c shredded romaine (I skipped this)
Sliced tomato - about 1 large
Sliced onion - about 1/2 large

Directions:
Preheat grill to medium high or preheat broiler. (It was raining so I ended up cooking mine under the broiler in our toaster oven.)

Sprinkle chicken w/ 1 teaspoon garam masala and salt and pepper to taste. Place chicken on grill or broiler pan and cook for about 5-8 minutes/side, until internal temp reaches 165.

Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for about 5 minutes. (At this point I allowed it to cool and then refrigerated it.)

In the meantime, in a small bowl mix the cucumber, yogurt, lemon juice, cilantro or mint, 1/2 t garam masala, and 1/4 t salt and pepper. Set aside.

Thinly slice the chicken. Split open the warm pitas and stuff them with the yogurt sauce, chicken, onion and tomato (and lettuce if using).

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667