8/19/2009

Green Monster Smoothie

I've been meaning to try a Green Monster smoothie ever since Kelly (Kelly Cooks... and Other Amazing Feats) pointed them out to me on my health/fitness blog.

The basic premise of this smoothie is that it is made with spinach. I know what you're thinking... gross! Who wants a smoothie made of spinach? But, I promise, you can't even taste it!! I swear. :) Basically it's healthy, and supposed to give you an energy boost.
So I tried a basic Green Monster smoothie this morning - and it actually tasted really good. Okay, so they don't look like the most appetizing things in the world. But... try it, you won't be disappointed. :p

There are a large number of recipes on the Green Monster website, using different different flavors and ingredients - but all with one in common, spinach. Check them out and find one that looks good to you. You won't be disappointed. :)

Update: I tried this recipe with 1 T of peanut butter instead of the protein powder. Delicious!  Just like a PB banana smoothie. :)

Ingredients:
2 c fresh baby spinach
1 T flax seed
1 1/2 - 2 T chocolate protein powder
1 banana
1 - 1/2 c milk
Ice

Directions:
Take out your blender - add in the flax seed, protein powder, spinach, banana and milk and blend for about 1 minute. You may have to mix it around at first to get it all to blend.

Next add it in the ice, and turn your blender on the ice crush setting.

Pour into a tall glass, and enjoy!

I made this for my breakfast this morning - and it's really filling! I haven't been feeling my typical hunger pangs this morning, and it's just about time for lunch.

3 comments:

Anonymous

I love Green Monster Smoothies! I just toss in a frozen banana, 1 cup milk, 1 cup spinach and a tbsp. peanut butter. I'll have to try your version!

Unknown

Hurrah for green monsters! Check out www.greenmonstermovement.com for some crazy recipes, too.
I couldn't figure out why I never blog mine -- then I realized it was because I make them in the a.m. before work....and I don't have access at work. Duh. :)

Davy@IncredibleSmoothies

I usually make my "green monsters" with either coconut water or plain water instead of milk. I have been experimenting with different greens too as I want to branch out from just spinach. I just made one with fresh Italian parsley today and it was really good!

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667