9/03/2009

Shrimp Cakes

Recipe from Elizabeth's Edible Experience


I was really excited to try this recipe.  I love crab cakes, but the lump crab meat I get at my grocery store - not so great.  I thought these were really good! 

My changes - I skipped the bell pepper - so I didn't even bother cooking the garlic before I put the cakes together.  I just threw it in the bowl with the rest of the stuff.

I made these cakes a day in advance, and cooked them when I was ready to eat.  I made the salsa a few days in advance, except for the avocado - which I added when ready to eat.

Ingredients:
Cakes:
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
Cooking spray
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 c thinly sliced green onions
3 T reduced-fat mayo
1 T lime juice
1 1/2 t hot sauce
1/2 t sugar
1/4 t salt
1 large egg
1/4 c finely chopped cilantro
3/4 c Panko, divided

Salsa:
2 ears corn, roasted (or grilled) and cut from the cob
1 diced peeled avocado
1/4 c chopped cilantro
3 T finely chopped red onion
2 T finely chopped jalapeno
1 T lime juice
1/4 t salt

Directions:
To prepare salsa, combine all ingredients except for avocado and mix well.  Add avocado and stir gently.  (If making this in advance, don't add the avocado until ready to eat.)

Cook the shrimp with some salt and pepper in a skillet until pink.  Place in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.  Place in a large bowl.

Add remaining ingredients including 1/4 c of Panko.  Mix well.

Divide mixture into 4-5 equal patties, about 1/2 inch thick.  Pat them with the remaining Panko on both sides.  Let chill for at least 1 hour, or overnight.

Preheat a skillet to about medium-high heat and coat with cooking spray.

Cook the cakes for about 4 minutes per side, until browned.  Serve salsa over cakes.

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago

This looks awesome and a nice change from the traditional crabcakes!

Colleen

These look great! A nice different way to eat shrimp!

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667