9/29/2009

Slow Cooker Turkey Stew

Recipe from recipezaar.com



J and I both loved this stew!!  You'll be seeing a lot of slow cooker recipes from me now that the weather is getting cooler.  Especially soups and stews. :) 

To save time in the morning - I cooked the turkey the night before and also chopped all of the veggies.  So in the morning - I just had to throw it together.

Serve this with some fresh, crusty bread.  YUM!

My changes: I skipped the green beans and carrots and used turnips and parsnips instead.


Ingredients:
1 lb ground turkey
1 c chopped celery
1 1/2 c chopped parsnip
1 1/2 c chopped turnip
2 1/2 c tomato juice (next time I may go up to 3 cups - I would've liked just a bit more broth)
1 c mushrooms, sliced 1/4 in thick
1/2 c chopped tomato
1 T dried onion flakes
1 1/2 t Worcestershire
1 t dried basil
1 t dried oregano
1/2 t garlic powder (didn't have any so I threw in 3 cloves minced garlic)
1/2 t sugar
1/4 t pepper
1 bay leaf

Directions:
In a large skillet, cook the turkey, celery, parsnips and turnips until turkey is no longer pink and veggies are soft.  Add to 4 quart slow cooker (I wouldn't go any smaller than this - mine was pretty full.)

Stir in remaining ingredients.  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.  Remove bay leaf and serve.

1 comments:

Colleen

This looks wonderful - I like that it uses tomato juice and not broth for a change!

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667