10/29/2009

Canned Apple Butter

Recipe from Cooking Light

This is recipe number three using my Ingredient of the Month: Apples!  And what a delicious way to use them!



This is a recipe that can either be made overnight in the crockpot, or in a few hours stovetop.  I decided to just go with the stovetop method.


I haven't actually eaten this apple butter except for a quick taste before I canned it.  But it was delicious!  Exactly like I remember it. :)

This recipe uses the flavors of brown sugar, honey, cinnamon, apple cider, cloves and mace.  I decided to use Granny Smith apples.  I didn't change the recipe at all, so check the link above for the full recipe.

Overall the recipe was extremely easy to make.  Peeling the apples was a bit time-consuming, but easy.  The most difficult part was straining it.  I don't have a sieve so I used one of my wire-mesh strainers and pressed it through with a pestle.  My arm definitely hurt after a while, but it got the job done. :)


For canning, I used the website freshpreserving.com.  This is a great canning resource, so I'd recommend taking a look at it, and follow the instructions on this site for canning.  This was my first time canning, but it's so easy!  And I plan to do more in the near future. :)

It's important to remember that you must sterilize the jars and lids, and once you remove the full jars from the water bath - just leave them alone for 12-24 hours. 

Apple butter has to process in the water bath (rolling boil) for 10 minutes. 

There are so many ways you can use apple butter - spread it on muffins, rolls, bagels and bread; serve it over chicken and pork; or mix it in with your oatmeal, yogurt or cottage cheese.

How do you eat your apple butter?

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667