10/22/2009

Cheddar Stuffed Chicken Burgers w/ Sauteed Apples and Mushrooms

Inspired by Joelen's Culinary Adventures

This is my second post for this month's Ingredient of the Month: Apples!  Instead of pairing them with pork as I did the last time, I'm using the flavors of chicken and cheddar.


 

When I saw these flavors used on Joelen's blog, I had to try them out myself.  I decided to go with Chicken burgers.  I sauteed the apples with a bit of nutmeg and cumin, and also sauteed some onion and mushroom.  And stuffed the burgers with cheddar.  J and I both thought these were delicious!


I really don't know my exact amounts of anything, so use your best judgement. :)

Ingredients:
1/2 lb ground chicken
Nutmeg (about 1/4 t) plus a bit for the apples
Cumin (maybe 1/2 t) plus some for the apples
Approximately 1/4 c Panko bread crumbs
Salt & pepper, to taste
2-3 T shredded cheddar
1/2 apple, cored and thinly sliced
4-5 button mushrooms (or small portobellos), sliced
1/4 small onion, sliced
1 T olive oil, split
Dijon Mustard
Hamburger buns

Directions:
In a medium bowl, mix the ground chicken, nutmeg, cumin, Panko, salt and pepper.

Split the ground chicken mixture into two equal portions. Then split each portion in half.  Form each portion into a patty.  On 2 of the patties, place about 1-1 1/2 T cheddar cheese.  Top with the other 2 patties.  Make sure to seal the patties all the way around, to contain the cheese.

Cook the patties on the grill or in a skillet (I used our cast iron), for about 4-5 minutes per side.  Until cooked completely through with no pink in the middle (about 165 degrees).

Meanwhile - take out 2 medium sized skillets.  Place about 1/2 T olive oil in each skillet and turn to medium heat.  In one skillet toss the apples with the olive oil, then season with cumin and nutmeg. Saute until soft.

In the other skillet saute the mushrooms and onion until tender.

To build the burger, place the burger on the bottom bun, then top with the apples and the mushroom/onion mixture.  Spread dijon mustard over the top bun.  Enjoy!

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667