10/22/2009

Chicken Brunswick Stew

Recipe from Cook Like A Champion
 


This was a really delicious recipe.  Although I did make a few last minute changes because J seems to have this broth phobia.  He can't stand a lot of broth in his soup, and it drives me nuts when we have tons of broth left over, because he digs for all the veggies and meat and leaves it in the pot.

So - I decided to add some rice, carrots and celery.  Since it was last minute, I just boiled the carrots and celery for about 10 minutes to soften them, then mixed them in.  I cooked the rice as usual and mixed in it before serving.  However, I'll write the directions as if I knew I would make these changes from the beginning - I think they were good additions. :)

The stew was a bit sweet, so next time I'd probably just skip the sugar.  It wasn't so sweet I couldn't eat it, just feel the sugar was unnecessary.

Oh, and one more change - I used chicken thighs instead of breasts.  No reason other than I had them in my freezer. :) 

Ingredients:
2 large onions, chopped
5-6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 (15 ou) cans cream style corn
1 (28 ou) can crushed tomatos
1 (12 ou) bottle chili sauce
14.5 ou chicken broth
1/4 c Worcestershire sauce
3 carrots, sliced about 1/4" thick
3-4 celery stalks, chopped
1/4 c butter, cut into pieces
2 T vinegar
2 t dry mustard
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1/2 t pepper sauce
1 T sugar
1 c rice

Directions:
Place onions in the bottom of the slow cooker, followed by the chicken and all remaining ingredients, except the rice.

Cover and cook on High for about 4 hours, or Low for 6-8 hours.

Before serving, cook rice according to package directions, and then mix into the stew.  While the rice cooks, remove the chicken from the crockpot and shred, then return to pot.

Serve with good, crusty bread.

This makes A LOT of stew, so be prepared to freeze some.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667