10/07/2009

Pork Chops with Sauteed Apples

Recipe from Good Housekeeping Step by Step Cookbook

This is the first recipe featuring my Ingredient of the Month: Apples!


I came across this recipe in my Good Housekeeping cookbook and had to try it.  Pork and apples together is such a delicious combination!  I loved this recipe.  The only thing I would do differently, in order to infuse the pork with a bit more apple flavor, is that I would saute the pork in a bit of the apple cider (or juice).  But overall, so good!



I cut this recipe in half, since it was only for DH and I.  It halves very well, but I'll post the whole 4 serving ingredient amounts.

I served this over egg noodles, but you could make it healthier with brown rice, or even skip the starch and pair it with a veggie, or maybe a sweet potato.

Ingredients:
4 t vegetable oil
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
4 boneless pork loin chops (about 1 1/4" thick)
Salt
1/2 t dried thyme
1/4 t pepper
2 medium Golden Delicious apples, unpeeled, cored and sliced into 1/4" slices
1 T sugar
1/2 c apple juice or cider
1 t corn starch
Pasta or rice (optional)

Directions:
Heat 2 t oil over medium-high heat in large skillet.  Add onions and cook until tender.  Remove onions from skillet and set aside.

Pat chops dry with a paper towel and sprinkle with salt, pepper and thyme.  Place in skillet for about 5 minutes per side, until no longer pink in the middle.  (Here I would suggest adding a bit of cider or juice to infuse the pork with the apple flavor.)


Transfer chops to serving plates and cover to keep warm.

Heat the remaining 2 t oil and add the apples and sugar to the skillet.  Cook apples until lightly browned, then transfer to plates with pork.


In a small bowl mix the cider or juice and cornstarch.  Add it to the skillet with the onions.  Bring to a boil, and then simmer for about 1 minute.

Pour cider/onion mixture over pork and apples.  Serve with pasta or rice if you would like.  I seasoned the pasta with a little bit of thyme, salt and pepper.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667