6/11/2010

Baked Eggs in Bellas

Recipe from Cara's Cravings


I'm loving all of these great meatless recipes that use eggs that I've been getting from Cara's blog. :)

As soon as I saw this I knew I had to try it. Eggs, portobellas, and brie!  Delicious!

This was a really simple dish to throw together.  The longest part was caramelizing the onions.  However, if you don't have the right size/shape mushroom, this can be very difficult.

I had one that was very deep, and the other was pretty flat.  When I cracked the egg into the flat mushroom, it immediately leaked into the pan.  However, it help well in the deep portobella. I had to improvise with the other by starting to cook the egg in a pan, then carefully transferring it into the mushroom.  It worked out okay. :)

Ingredients:
2 large portobella mushroom caps, gills and stems removed and gently cleaned (careful not to break these!)
2 T balsamic vinegar
1 T olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 t herbs de provence
Dash of steak seasoning
2 large eggs
2 ou brie cheese, thinly sliced
Small onion
1 T olive oil

Directions:
Slowly carmelize the onion in a small skillet with hot olive oil over medium/low heat.  This will take about 30-35 minutes.  Stir occasionally.

Whisk the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, herbs de provence and steak seasoning in a small bowl.  Brush over mushroom cap, then set on a baking sheet (stem side up) and pour the remaining marinade over top. Let sit for 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Place mushrooms on a baking sheet, stem side down, and roast for 10 minutes. Flip mushrooms over, and carefully break egg into the mushroom cap. Return to the oven for 5-10 minutes, until egg is cooked through.

Top with the onion and brie.  Return to oven until cheese is melted.

I served these with a very simple salad of spring mix, blueberries, toasted sesame seeds and raspberry vinaigrette.

1 comments:

Unknown

If you decide to make this again, I have a great idea I wanted to share. Last week I made this and one of our mushrooms was already broken when I bought it. I held it together w/ a toothpick but was worried when it came time to crack the egg in it. My husband pulled out one of our 16oz corningware dishes and it fit the mushroom perfectly and kept the egg right on top! After it was all cooked it just slid right out!

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667