6/07/2010

Honey-Oatmeal Sandwich Bread

Recipe from Brown Eyed Baker


I FINALLY made successful sandwich bread!  I was so excited when I cut into this bread and it was nice and soft and perfect for a sandwich.  And it is delicious!  (And this recipe is so simple to make!)

However, I admit, I kind of feel like I cheated a bit because I used my bread machine to knead and rise the dough for me.  My problem always seems to come when the dough doesn't rise correctly for me, but this worked perfectly.  And the second rise, in the loaf pan, went perfectly as well. :)

I think it helps that this recipe uses instant yeast.  I always have problems with active dry yeast - getting the liquid at the right temperature to activate it, without killing it. 

I actually thought when I first saw this recipe that it was a wheat bread.  I was wrong.  But wheat bread is my next challenge.  I will conquer yeast! :)

Ingredients:
1 1/4 c boiling water
1 c old-fashioned rolled oats
2 T unsalted butter, cut into 3 pieces
1 1/2 t salt
1/4 c honey
1 2/3 c all-purpose flour
1/4 c nonfat dry milk
2 t instant yeast

Directions:
Stir the boiling water, oats, butter, salt and honey into a medium bowl.  Let the mixture cool to lukewarm.

Mix in the remaining ingredients and knead (either by hand, stand mixer or bread machine) until you have a soft, smooth dough. Place dough into a lightly greased bowl, cover, and let rise for 1 hour, until doubled in size. (If you use a bread machine, you can let it rise in there as well instead of removing it.)

Lightly grease a 9x5" loaf pan. Gently deflate the dough (it will be sticky, so flour or oil your hands).  Shape the dough into a 9" log.  If you're not sure how to do this, check Brown Eyed Baker's blog for instructions.

Place dough into the prepared pan.  Cover with lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow to rise for 1-1 1/2 hours, until risen about 1 1/2 inches above the pan. Near the end of the rise time, preheat oven to 350.

Bake dough for about 40 minutes.  After 20 minutes tent bread with aluminum foil, to prevent it from over-browning.  The bread is done when golden-brown and an instant read thermometer reads 190 in the center of the bread.

Remove from oven and let sit for a minute.  Remove bread to a rack.  Brush with melted butter and sprinkle on some oats.  Do not cut until cooled completely.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667