7/15/2010

Summer Vegetable Napoleans

Recipe from Rachel Ray


I'm always looking for meatless recipes to make for dinner, in order to save money.  It seems, lately, that many of those involve Portabella mushrooms.  But that's okay with me - I love them! :)

This one is a delicious stack of grilled veggies - portabellas, eggplant, zucchini and grilled polenta. However, as you can see from the picture, the stack did not want to stay stacked. :) Which is why I didn't even attempt a picture once I moved them to the plate with the pasta.

It was actually even better than I had imagined!  The only change I made was adding some minced garlic into the pasta - for a bit more flavor.  And I halved this recipe for just J and I (4 serving recipe below), and it still made a lot!  I ended up taking half of my portion in my lunch the next day. (It reheats well.)

Next time I make this, I will probably substitute plain yogurt for the mayonnaise.  I thought I had some yogurt, but it turned out I didn't.  I may add about a tablespoon of mayo in the mix for the taste, but yogurt can definitely go in its place in this dish, to make it just that much healthier.

Ingredients:
2 portabella mushroom caps
1.2 lbs tube prepared polenta (sliced into 12 rounds)
1/2 c Olive Oil
Salt & pepper
2 small eggplants, peeled and sliced lengthwise into 12 pieces
1 zucchini, sliced on the diagonal into 12 pieces
2/3 lb angel hair pasta (I used fettucini)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tomatos, 1 finely chopped, 1 sliced into 12 pieces
1 c shredded mozzarella
1/4 c mayo

Directions:
Preheat grill over medium heat.  Brush both sides of the mushrooms and polenta with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper.

In a medium bowl, toss the eggplant and zucchini to coat with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.

Place the mushrooms, eggplant and zucchini onto the grill for about 5 minutes, turning once, until heated through.  Remove from grill and thinly slice the mushrooms.  Place the polenta on the grill for about 2 minutes, turning once, until heated through.

Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain and toss with chopped tomato, 2 T olive oil, garlic, and salt and pepper.

In a small bowl, combine the mozzarella and mayo.

Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.  In 4 stacks, layer 3 slices eggplant, 2 slices zucchini, 3 slices tomato, some of the cheese mixture, 3 polenta rounds, more of the cheese, and sliced mushrooms.

Place baking sheet on grill and close cover.  Grill for about 5 minutes until cheese is melted.  Serve veggie stacks with pasta.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667