8/24/2010

Greek Lamb/Couscous Stuffed Cabbage

This is the second in my stuffed cabbage series.  Okay, not much of a series since there are only two. :)


I enjoyed this with the Greek flavors, but I have to say it wasn't as good as the Indian flavors.  For the Greek flavors I used oregano, parsley, mint, allspice and red wine.  I also used shallots.  I know red onion would've been better, but I was all out.

I have to say I had a lot of fun playing around with these two different flavors, Indian and Greek.  I very rarely do cooking where I am really making up my own recipe.  And, when I do throw something together, it's not so much making a recipe as it is throwing whatever I have into a casserole of some sort.  I should try to do this more often. :)

Ingredients:
Cabbage:
1 head red cabbage
1 lb ground lamb
3/4 c couscous, cooked
1 shallot, finely minced
2 T fresh parsley, chopped
1 t allspice
1 1/2 t  dried oregano
1/2 t dried mint
1/2 c red wine
Salt & pepper, to taste

Sauce:
2 T olive oil
1 shallot, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
28 ou can crushed tomatos
1/2 c shredded cabbage
1 t dried mint
1 t allspice
1 1/2 t oregano
1/2 c red wine
3-4 T fresh parsley, chopped
Salt & pepper, to taste


Directions:
Boil water in a large stockpot.  Blanche the cabbage for about 30 seconds, until outer layer begins to peel away.  Remove from water and peel off the outer leaves.  Allow leaves to drain on a paper towel lined baking sheet.  Repeat until you reach the thicker, less flexible inner layers of cabbage. Shred about 1/2 c of these thicker inner layers to use in the sauce.

In a medium bowl, mix the lamb, couscous, and remaining ingredients.  Do not over mix.

In a medium stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Add the garlic and shallots and saute until tender and translucent.  Pour in the wine and bring to a simmer.  Add in the remaining sauce ingredients.  Mix and heat to simmering. Remove from heat.

In a large, tall-sided skillet, place a layer of sauce.  Roll about 2-3 T of lamb mixture into each cabbage leaf.  Place in skillet seam side down.  You may have some leaves left over.

Pour the remaining sauce over the cabbage rolls and cover.  Cook over medium-low heat for about 35-45 minutes, until cooked through.  Serve hot.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667