8/23/2010

Indian Spiced Lamb/Couscous Stuffed Cabbage

I finally made stuffed cabbage this weekend. :)  I had 2 heads of cabbage in my garden that I needed to do something with.  So I decided to do 2 separate batches of stuffed cabbage.  The first batch I used Indian spices, and in the second I used Greek flavors.


The Indian spiced stuffed cabbage is fabulous!  Instead of the usual ground beef and rice, I decided to use ground lamb and couscous.  Since I had red cabbage, I thought I'd make these a bit different. 

I did some research to find some of the more common Indian ingredients, and then ran with them.  I am extremely happy with how this turned out.  I think it made about 12-14 rolls.  J and I each had one, and I froze the rest.

Ingredients:
Cabbage:
1 head red cabbage
1 lb ground lamb
3/4 c couscous, cooked
2 T onion, finely minced
4 T fresh cilantro, chopped
1 T garam masala
1 t cumin
1/2 t coriander
1/2 t turmeric
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 t ground ginger
Salt & pepper, to taste

Sauce:
2 T vegetable oil
1/4 c onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
28 ou can crushed tomatos
1/2 t ground ginger
1/2 t coriander
1/2 T garma masala
1 1/2 t cumin
1/2 lemon, juiced
3/4 c plain yogurt


Directions:
Boil water in a large stockpot.  Blanche the cabbage for about 30 seconds, until outer layer begins to peel away.  Remove from water and peel off the outer leaves.  Allow leaves to drain on a paper towel lined baking sheet.  Repeat until you reach the thicker, less flexible inner layers of cabbage.  (Set these aside.  You can use them in another recipe by shredding them.) (Side note: boiling red cabbage turns the water purple, and therefore purple water will drip from cabbage leaves, making a purple mess. :)  It will wipe off, but it's not pretty!)

In a medium bowl, mix the lamb, couscous, onion, cilantro, spices and lemon juice.  Do not over mix.

In a medium stockpot, heat vegetable oil over medium heat.  Add the garlic and onions and saute until tender and translucent.  Add in the remaining ingredients, except yogurt.  Mix and heat to simmering.  Remove from heat and mix in the yogurt.

In a large, tall-sided skillet, place a layer of sauce.  Roll about 2-3 T of lamb mixture into each cabbage leaf.  Place in skillet seam side down.  You may have some leaves left over.

Pour the remaining sauce over the cabbage rolls and cover.  Cook over medium-low heat for about 35-45 minutes, until cooked through.  Serve hot.

1 comments:

Sara

I'm very excited to try this out tonight. Thanks for the recipe!

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667