8/10/2010

Spicy Tomatillo Salsa

Recipe from Ball


My aunt sent me this recipe that she uses from Ball canning.  To make up the 1 c of peppers, I used jalapenos and red chili peppers.  So this recipe has a definite kick, but the sweetness of the tomatillos really balances it out.

We had so many peppers this year that I just had to figure out something to do with them.  I also made some Sweet Pepper Salsa, which I'll post later.  And I may get some tomatoes from my dad's garden to make some more, plus I am thinking about pickling some peppers and/or drying them out to use later.

I really like how this turned out.  I thought it may be a bit too spicy for me, but, as I mentioned above, the sweetness of the tomatillos really just makes it delicious!  One thing that I didn't do, that I would do the next time, is to drain the tomatillos so the salsa isn't quite so juicy.  Since I chopped these in a food processor, they maintained all of their juices, and it was just a bit too much.

Ingredients:
5 1/2 c chopped, cored tomatillos
1 c chopped onion
1 c chopped pepper (as I said above, I used all jalapeno and red chili)
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 T minced cilantro
2 t ground cumin
1/2 t salt
1/2 t red pepper flakes
1/2 c vinegar
4 T lime juice

*Makes about 4 (8 ou) 1/2 pint jars.

Directions:
Sterilize jars and lids and prepare boiling water canner.

Combine all ingredients into a large saucepan. Heat to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

Ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Wipe rim and center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust to fingertip tight.

Process jars in boiling water canner for 15 minutes.  Remove jars and cool.  Check lids for seal after 24 hours and store in a cool, dry place.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'SimpleBlue' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/apeasantsfeast?AFFID=37667